Tips for a Great Film
1. Write a Storyboard or Script
- Include characters, speech, the type of shots you want to take, the mood you want to set, etc. Usually the most interesting videos contain traditional storytelling elements (i.e. exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, conclusion).
- Share your ideas with friends, other filmmakers, or your family. Feedback now will help you make a better video--even before you start filming!
2. Prepare for Filming
- Enlist the help of friends/family as actors and actresses. (Make sure you complete Actor Release Forms for all your actors/actresses).
- Think about costumes, volume, lighting, backgrounds, etc.
3. Film It
- Be sure to keep your camera steady (unless you are trying to set a mood with the camera work).
- Make sure you can hear your actors/actresses.
- Do not delete anything on your camera until you are in the editing stage--you may think it will not be useful now, but you may need it later.
- Remember, you do not want to have to go back and re-film scenes, so review your footage before you wrap up.
- You have access to WeVideo through hcpss.me, and it is a great video editing platform for you to use for free.
- Add music, voice overs, special effects, etc. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube if needed.
- Remember that with music, you need to abide by copyright laws. There is more information about this on hocofilmfest.com
- Watch it over a few times. Does it make sense? Is it cohesive? Are there any sections that could use more editing?
- Show it to friends or family for more feedback.
6. Submit it to the Film Fest by April 17th, 2021
- Upload to YouTube.
- Fill out the electronic form at under “Regulations & How to Submit”
- Now you just wait for the Film Fest on May 14, 2021. Parts of everyone’s film will be shown, and winners’ films will be shown in their entirety. Good luck, and, of course, have fun!!